Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Broken links + UK rootbeer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, James,

I recently changed the site's software, and http://www.root-beer.org/Yellow_Froth_Pages.htm is no longer a valid page (obviously it's still there, but not maintained). How did you access this link? Looks like I'll need to redirect that link to the current brands page.

In the meantime, if you click the Brands button on the upper left side, you should be taken to: Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!. By clicking a flag there, you should see appropriate brands for the selected country.

In the US, we're obviously not "hip" to the anti-GM movement in Europe. Is the assumption there that corn syrup from the US is always genetically modified or comes from genetically modified corn?

I just pulled a can of Carter's (Cott Beverages of Derby) out of the refrigerator - it has sugar and saccharin. I was hoping it might be the answer to your question. I've tried Sainsbury's and a couple of other UK brands, but am sure they all contained saccharin).

Northern Brewer ( Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!) sells several root beer extracts and will ship outside the US.

Good luck...

So heres a tribute toast with root beer in hand to you and the many mugs of suds along your happy trails. --Charles Wysocki, artist and root beer fan, 1928-2002

Jon
Root Beer Brand Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken links + UK rootbeer Reply with quote

James,

Don't bother tracking down 330. It contains aspertame and saccharin. For more information on it go Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!.

I posted this before, but for more info about brands with different kinds of sweetners, go to Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!. Then click on search, then go to the sweeetner category.

Good luck.

Jon

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

I corrected the link on the main page - thanks! I have many updates for the database, but haven't had the time, unfortunately.

Jon,

Looks like I'll need to add the ability to search by sweetener to the brands database - many have requested that.

A-Jack-Russel-Terrier
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Broken links + UK rootbeer Reply with quote

Well, I have tried 330, and it STINKS! It tastes like nothing but chemic, and not much of that, either. I reckon the makers are using "330" to suggest to schoolkids the end of the day's school, at 3:30 p.m., come out and buy this on the way home- also the trashy "graffiti / tag" style of label reinforces this? Free Natural was little better, not MY idea of root beer- more like weak ginger beer with some other faint spices . As for artificial sweeteners, unless you are allergic to them, or just really hate them, I say don't worry- finding root beer in the UK is hard enough as it is. Although some leave an aftertaste that I can detect well over 14 hours later- Asda sugar free fruit flavours (not root beer, this) particularly offend. A&W have opened a few co-locations in the UK in 2003 at certain KFC restaurants- the first one I tried was at Ashton Moss, Tameside, near Manchester. The drink was so weak, the CO2 flavour overwhelmed the syrup flavour by a large amount, and it was so pale in colour. I complained, and was told "that's how it's meant to be, we can't change it". This despite the syrup / gas / wter mixer being adjustable I would have thought. I even went to the trouble of emailing A&W in the US many times, to advise them to put their foot on this before their reputation got tarnished here, but they started bouncing my mail back- maybe they they thought I was some kind of crackpot! Wink I also tried one at the KFC at Pear Tree on the outskirts of Derby earlier this year, the flavour was better, still not strong enough, but was warmish and almost flat. I spoke to the manager who displayed a level of apathy towards it that bordered on contempt. Unbelievable. Extracts- I have used Rainbow Flavors from the US a good few times, gives a flavour similar to Sainsbury's which is made by Carters, I think; (check out Asda for 6 can packs of Carters )or maybe Villa from Sunderland , who are responsible for 330 "Sarsaparilla" but you control how strong you want it. I also use vanilla extract and honey and other experimental stuff sometimes and mix them as I feel like. These things assist with getting different textures as well as flavour. Also, I am trying to get Zatarains www.zatarain.com to supply me some of theirs, but I got a terse reply to my UK shipping enquiry simply stating "we do not ship there". I have emailed again as they have a section for international orders, but no reply yet. (There is now- see below!) I'll keep banging on about it to them tho'. They do a case of 12 for the price of 10, which = $1.80 a bottle, some retailers want in excess of $4 a bottle in the US, plus further shipping to the UK. Also, check out www.ebay.co.uk -do a search for root beer- a firm in Trafford Park, Manchester is selling A&W in 330ml cans- (as at 7/5/04) pricey at £21 for 24, even with postage! Ebay.com is full of root beer memorabilia and stuff- look how seriously the Yanks take it- they have loads of good stuff available to them over there; the range is VAST! I look on with huge green eyed envy- the lucky $%&**! I get so worked up that it's all available over there, and no-one here makes an effort to get some in, and lets the big nationally advertised bland soda firms (C*ca C*la et al ) have it all their own way- Brit tastebuds and minds cannot think past coke or pepsi and all the associated rubbish. I'm on my soap box now- RANT ! RANT! I challenge any manufacturer to respond, and tell me why we can't get sorted out with the GOOD STUFF. Embarassed AAAAARRRRRRGGGH!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

david@turbotoyz.co.uk

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><<><><><><>

I have some zatrains extract available @ £3 plus a stamped addressed padded envelope per bottle. Shipping weight per bottle is 4 ounces. Please remit accordingly. Postal orders only please. Please email first to make sure it's still available and get post details, thanx.

Last edited by A-Jack-Russel-Terrier on Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:12 am; edited 2 times in total
A-Jack-Russel-Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken links + UK rootbeer Reply with quote

James- stay in touch as I'm having some Zatarains extract shipped, and may have some to sell on. See http://www.zatarain.com/products/products.php//10
for details. cheers,,,David.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Brands All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: