Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Batch Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cope
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: First Batch Questions Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am new to the forum here, but happy to see a forum dedicated to Root Beer!

My brother-in-law and I are going to have our first crack at making some home brewed root beer. We have bought most of the ingredients need (still waiting on the sassafras root and glass swing cap bottles to show up in the mail). We have some recipes we can start from. My question is about the equipment/process we should use on our first pass.

Equipment I have:
30qt boiler and burner setup https://goo.gl/TAUx7t
5 gallon Carboy (not sure if I need or if I should go straight to the bottles) https://goo.gl/9VxvMQ
12 750ml swing cap bottles https://goo.gl/RR5mBZ

Recipe we are starting with:
2 ½ gallons of filtered water
1 cup Sassafras
½ cup Sarsaparilla
1 cup Wintergreen Leaf (I’m unsure here some recipes call for a little some for a lot, says it’s a strong flavor if we err on the side of caution we should use ¾ teaspoon)
2 cups Sucanat
3 Cinnamon Sticks*
¼ cup Licorice Root
2 pods Star Anise (once again unsure but we can err on the side of caution)
¾ cup Molasses
¾ cup Lime Juice
1 ½ tsp Allspice*
3 Vanilla Beans*
4 tbs Wild Cherry Tree Bark*
2 ¼ cup Ginger Bug

Asterisk (*) = exotic flavors not necessary for a base flavor
--------

Any advice on if we should use the carboy after the boil or should we go straight to the bottles?
Any ingredients we should keep out? I want a good base product that we can maybe add ingredients as we see fit in future batches.
Our intent is to eventually make a product we can put on tap at a local brewery and maybe bottle at some point.

Thanks for any advice in advance!
CHEERS

aruzinsky
Root Beer Connoisseur
Root Beer Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: First Batch Questions Reply with quote

When are you carbonating or fermenting? I don't see yeast as an ingredient.

It looks under sweetened. 2 cups Sucranat and 3/4 cup molasses is equal to slightly more than one pound of sugar. Typically, 1 pound of sugar per gallon is used but you are making 2.5 gallons. I suggest that you start as simple as possible with only sugar, water, sassafras, wintergreen and anise. After getting a generic root beer flavor, you can add other ingredients to suit your taste.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: