Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:09 pm Post subject: How to Get Perfect Carbonation Using Yeast On the First Try
How to Get Perfect Carbonation Using Yeast On the First Try without Special Equipment
It occurred to me that a 2 liter plastic soda bottle is elastic enough so that I could use the level of liquid inside as a pressure gauge to judge when there was the proper amount of carbonation. I did the following:
1. I took a full bottle of A&W Diet Root Beer and paced it in a warm spot (87 degrees F.) for several hours.
2. Using a permanent marker (Sharpie Fine Point), I marked, on the outside of the bottle, the level of the liquid inside the bottle.
3. I removed the cap and again marked the level of liquid inside. There was almost exactly a 0.25 inch difference as measured on the slanted surface. Also, the second mark was 2 11/16 inch vertical distance from the top of the bottle with the cap on.
4. I took a different empty A&W bottle and made similar marks on it.
5. I put 200 g. of sugar, 1 tbs. Zaterains Root Beer Extract and enough water so that the bottle was half full. I capped and shook the bottle until the sugar dissolved.
6. I proofed 0.5 gram of Red Star Quick Rise Instant Dry Yeast in 1 tsp. molasses and 1 tbs. water for 2 hours. This served as a test for yeast vitality. Then I added the mixture to the bottle.
7. I added water to the bottle until it reached the upper mark. I capped the bottle and shook it.
8. I loosened the cap and squeezed all of the air out of the bottle before re-tightening the cap (I tightened cap just as a few drops of liquid exuded from the sides of the cap.)
9. I placed the bottle in the same spot as in step 1. and waited until the level of liquid dropped to the lower mark. This took about 20 hours and there was no visible headspace until about 5 hours.
10.I put the bottle in the refrigerator overnight before pouring into a glass.
It fizzed and tasted as I predicted. Then I poured the rest down the sink because I am Type 2 Diabetic.
Next, I will repeat the experiment using the theoretically minimum required amount of sugar plus artificial sweetener. I bet it doesn't work but I would be a fool not to try it.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum