Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modern root beer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michael123
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Modern root beer Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I’m new on the board, and have been reading through the previous posts non stop for advice on homebrewing. I have come up with a couple of questions which I don’t think have been answered, and have been causing me a lot of aggression in my homebrew operations.

I have been using Sassafras in my brewing, but the flavour I come up with in the end is nothing like a store bought root beer. The store bought brands, are they actually using Sassafras (without Safrole), or have they dropped it from their ingredients and bumped up the wintergreen content?

Also, what is the difference between food grade essential oils and practitioner grade? I have tried speaking to many people at health food stores, and I just get a blank look as if I’m crazy. Some people have told me food grade is just a buzz word internet sites have put out to push their product, and go on to tell me I should never use essential oils in food, period. Easy way out for them, but it has led me to many dead ends.

aruzinsky
Root Beer Connoisseur
Root Beer Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Modern root beer Reply with quote

Sassafras without safrole does not taste like sassafras. It is my understanding that most of the remainder (20%) of sassafras oil after safrole (80%) has been removed is pinene and phellandrene, neither of which taste like safrole. But, phellandrene is described as, "peppery-minty and slightly citrusy" so I suspect it might be a useful ingredient in modern root beer but I doubt that it is extracted from sassafras. If one wanted to add a pine-like taste, one would probably add juniper berry oil instead of pinene from sassafras. Besides that, sassafras bark contains tannins that add a bitter flavor and that is why I prefer essential oil.

The practical difference between food and other grades is often just legal and boils down to whom somebody can successfully sue, or who goes to jail, when something goes wrong. Don't serve essential oils or chemicals that are not labeled or certified FCC (food grade), USP, or NF grade to other people because, if something goes wrong, they can sue your ass off and you can go to jail. If it is only for personal consumption, ingest completely at your own risk.

In another recent thread, online sources of food grade essential oils were listed.

michael123 wrote:
Hi everyone,
I’m new on the board, and have been reading through the previous posts non stop for advice on homebrewing. I have come up with a couple of questions which I don’t think have been answered, and have been causing me a lot of aggression in my homebrew operations.

I have been using Sassafras in my brewing, but the flavour I come up with in the end is nothing like a store bought root beer. The store bought brands, are they actually using Sassafras (without Safrole), or have they dropped it from their ingredients and bumped up the wintergreen content?

Also, what is the difference between food grade essential oils and practitioner grade? I have tried speaking to many people at health food stores, and I just get a blank look as if I’m crazy. Some people have told me food grade is just a buzz word internet sites have put out to push their product, and go on to tell me I should never use essential oils in food, period. Easy way out for them, but it has led me to many dead ends.

jamesanderson
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its good to know more about beer recipes.. Thank you.

joyee
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Modern root beer Reply with quote

Its good to know, this is really a great work. Keep it up and best of luck for the next time.

Garretty
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Modern root beer Reply with quote

joyee wrote:
Its good to know, this is really a great work. Keep it up and best of luck for the next time.

sure, me too

aruzinsky

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Modern root beer Reply with quote

michael123 wrote:
Hi everyone,

michael123 wrote:

The vast majority of store brought brands do not use sassafras. Before to 1960, almost all did. I may be wrong, but I believe that the vast majority of root beer manufacturers use sweet birch oil instead of wintergreen oil as a source of methyl salicylate. There are subtle differences in flavor. And, I don't know whether the average content of methyl salicylate in root beer increased after 1960. I was 14 years old at the time and didn't pay much attention to the way root beer tasted. Around 1962, while drinking a bottle of Hires root beer, I suddenly noted an interesting fruity flavor, afterwhich, I payed more attention to root beer.

michael123 wrote:

Food grade = Food Chemical Codex (FCC).

See http://www.usp.org/food-ingredients/food-chemicals-codex

Also, United States Pharmacopeia (USP) grades of specific non-toxic oils are for oral ingestion.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Pharmacopeia

Beware that not all kinds of USP or NF grades of essential oils are for oral ingestion. For example, some might be only for topical use. But, when both FCC and USP grades of a particular kind of essential oil exist, the USP grade can be used the same as FCC grade.

Loran sells some food grade oils. https://www.lorannoils.com/c-14-essential-oils-for-culinary-use.aspx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: