Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why are people so split on Virgil's?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
christian_cyclist
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Why are people so split on Virgil's? Reply with quote

There are quite a few negative user reviews on Bevnet.Com for this root beer and I was afraid that I wouldn't like it. It turned out great and I really enjoyed it. So why are some people so split on it? This is only my third "serious" root beer so I can't figure out why.

-- Boris

kink
Root Beer Freak
Root Beer Freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Why are people so split on Virgil's? Reply with quote

I have tried lots of different root beers and Virgil's seems to be one that is not the same every time. In the bottle it was bad. In the first pony keg I had it was good. In the second pony keg it was undrinkable. This was about 10 people tasting it and all saying the same thing YUCK! Some sort of fruity after taste. Bevnet seems way off some times from what I see. My taste as gone thru some changes over the years. At one time I liked alot of bite in my root beer, now I like more sweet with a real creamy taste. Don't forget drive in root beers, a lot of them still make their own root beer and it can be very good.

Thanks Kink

rblover
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i had Virgil's and i liked it. Then I had the Bavarian Nutmeg version and it was a lot worse. I just think it is just "luck of the draw"

Theyoungfanatic
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree
virgils has some good bottles some bad ones
but they add sooo many flavors, that it kind of stops tasting like root beer

Thom
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are people so split on Virgil's? Reply with quote

I bought a bottle of Virgil's at a health-food store. It was sitting on a shelf in a partial six-pack. It was awful. But Virgil's has no preservatives. I wonder how long that pack had been sitting there. It probably simply went bad.

plaintomato
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Virgil's. It's one of my favorites when I want exactly that...but the flavor is too much for it to be a drink-all-the-time flavor, but great for a in-the-mood-for-something-potent-and-different flavor, then it's a real treat.

It's really unique so people are split. People who don't like licorice won't like it. And I agree that the taste does vary; sometimes a "bad bottle" tastes more like crushed aspirin than anise. I've never been sure if it's an occasional shift in my buds or actually a variance between bottles.

Sometimes I even suspect the flavor can settle - I've had bottles that were sweet and delicious at the top and bitter like pain-killers at the bottom. And I'm still not sure if that's true, or my taste buds just started picking up something different.

Lucky for me I've never had a bottle bitter enough to be bad in my opinion, so I've had my fair share of Virgil's. Just my $0.02.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Brands All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: