Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The importance of cane sugar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arcticpenguin
Root Beer Freak
Root Beer Freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: The importance of cane sugar Reply with quote

Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!
Quote:

Ed Murrieta | Saturday, September 29, 2007 at 12:30 am

When it comes to sweetening fizzy soda, there's nothing fuzzy about the flavor of pure cane sugar.

"The sweetness really snaps," said brewmaster Don Spencer, who makes ginger ale and root beer at Silver City Restaurant and Brewery in Silverdale. "It's not the dull sweetness you get from a corn sugar."

Before high-fructose corn syrup started dominating the pop market (and Americans' diets) in the late 1970s, soda was made with sugar. It still is in Latin America, Europe and Asia, and by boutique bottlers in the United States, including Seattle's Jones Soda, which recently switched to cane sugar from high-fructose corn syrup.

Sugar is how Spencer learned to sweeten the root beer he made with his dad growing up on their Poulsbo farm. It's how he made root beer in the four years he worked at Thomas Kemper in the 1990s. It's how he makes root beer and ginger ale today at Silver City.

"I haven't even tried making soda with corn syrup," said Spencer, who admitted to drinking soda made with high-fructose corn syrup. "Pure cane sugar is just a cleaner sweetness. You can really taste the difference."

gagefx
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Penguin,

Not trying to be contrarian with my first post here, but I'm just taking the threads as they come.

In the past week I have tried about 17 different brands of boutique root beer and the only two I distinctly DIDN'T like were the only two labeled with "made with real cane sugar" and those were Boylan and AJ Stephans. Granted, there were only a couple brands I REALLY LIKED, but the only two I really DIDN'T like were the cane sugar brands.

I was actually looking forward to those two thinking I would like the real cane sugar more.

-GageFX

aruzinsky
Root Beer Connoisseur
Root Beer Connoisseur

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of cane sugar Reply with quote

1. Cane sugar, beet sugar, and high fructose corn syrup taste the same.

2. High fructose corn syrup is the least expensive.

3. There is controversial evidence that high fructose corn syrup is the most unhealthy.

4. Every food manufacturer who uses high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar, prefers to err on the unhealthy side to pinch pennies.

arcticpenguin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gagefx: You tried 17 "boutique" root beers and 15 of them had corn syrup? I'm thinking you need to hang out in a higher class of boutique.

Soda-MN-Good
Root Beer Freak
Root Beer Freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: The importance of cane sugar Reply with quote

Maybe you should stay out of the boutiques and try some "Gourmet" root beer sometimes.

It's a fact, just because a soda has cane sugar doesn't make it good tasting, Boylan's and AJ Stephens would make for two not to try as your only "sugar" sodas. be like trying Jones soda first and saying it's the best.

If you want some good quality cane sugar sodas. Look for my favorite Goose Island, or Henry Weinhard's, there's also Virgil's, Thomas Kemper, Dad's, A&W, Bulldog, Purple Cane Road, Sprecher's or Iron Horse. All I feel are great choices, one or two might not be cane sugar. Just going off memory.

aruzinsky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of cane sugar Reply with quote

Soda-MN-Good wrote:

If you want some good quality cane sugar sodas. Look for my favorite Goose Island, or Henry Weinhard's, there's also Virgil's, Thomas Kemper, Dad's, A&W, Bulldog, Purple Cane Road, Sprecher's or Iron Horse. All I feel are great choices, one or two might not be cane sugar. Just going off memory.

Last time I drank it (2005), Henry Weinhard's had high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) and no cane sugar. As I recall, Goose Island has no HFCS.

It is a fair bet that any mass produced non-diet soda such as Dad's or A&W have HFCS, but, since I almost only drink diet, I will have to check the labels at the store to be sure.

drpeckerus
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: The importance of cane sugar Reply with quote

Hi there,
I'm new to Root Beer World.My favorite all time Root Beer is Route 66(HFCS).I like Bulldog (Cane Sugar),Frostop(HFCS and or Cane Sugar).

Filberts Cane Sugar Root Beer is HORRIBLE! I haven't tried Tommy Knockers NEW Cane Sugar Root Beer but their Cane Sugar Almond Creme is good.

Also good is Frostop's Vanilla Caramel Creme Soda.I love that.
Also,Dang That's Good Butterscotch Root Beer(HFCS)..

ALL TIME WORST!! Red Ribbon Home Brewed Root Beer(Cane Sugar) Very Happy .I think they brew it in the local Septic Tank..

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, following on aruzinsky's earlier point, the choice of sweetener rarely determines whether or not you like the taste (unless it's saccharine, which makes anything taste horrible IMO). It's the recipe, which includes flavorings as well as the amount of sweetener.

So heres a tribute toast with root beer in hand to you and the many mugs of suds along your happy trails. --Charles Wysocki, artist and root beer fan, 1928-2002

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Brands All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: