Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dog N Suds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtShapiro
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Dog N Suds Reply with quote

I've been hoping to find this guy for quite some time, but haven't been successful. It's not that common in southern California. I know of a place in Santa Barbara that sporadically has it for sale as part of a constantly rotating stock of sodas, with a permanent four-pack display as a "teaser", but that's 150 miles from here and I only get up there once or twice a year.

A couple weeks ago, a new BevMo opened up, and it's only a half mile from the house. The two other BevMos I frequent are about 10 miles in opposite directions. I didn't see anything remarkable except for a single, solitary bottle of Dog N Suds, which was grabbed with considerable enthusiasm.

Hey, this stuff is good!

It lives up to its reputation. I didn't find it excessively sweet, and there seemed to be just a hint of aftertaste that was unusual and pleasant; I'm not enough of a connoisseur to decide what that taste might represent. I enjoyed every sip of that bottle, and certainly would rank the Dog N Suds in the "A" list, if perhaps not at the very, very top.

This one goes on my "if I see it, buy it" list.

Art

aruzinsky
Root Beer Connoisseur
Root Beer Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Dog N Suds Reply with quote

At the Ultra Foods store in Forest Park, IL, the price of a two liter plastic bottle is $1 which is also the price for a one quart glass bottle. The diet version was only available in glass. I bought one two liter bottle and just tried it. The aroma and flavor are too weak for my taste. It is not very sweet and the next strongest favor component that I detect is bitter.

ArtShapiro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog N Suds Reply with quote

I'm certainly not trying to make light of your observation, but for the sake of babbling I wonder if it's the same stuff.

It seems that most microbrewery rootbeers are packaged in 12 oz. bottles (which to me is not enough) or, in a handful of cases, the rather unusual size of 22 oz. To hear you talking about one quart and two liter bottles raises an eyebrow, simply because it is such a departure from the norm. Is it possible that the company markets a more proletarian beverage in the larger sizes?

Tastes are certainly relative, but I didn't think that single bottle was weak, and it seemed to approach my own favorite standards of excellence, Sparky's and Milligan's Island. I guess nobody can answer the question without having a couple examples of both sizes to sample, but it's fun to speculate.

Art

aruzinsky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog N Suds Reply with quote

ArtShapiro wrote:
I'm certainly not trying to make light of your observation, but for the sake of babbling I wonder if it's the same stuff.

It seems that most microbrewery rootbeers are packaged in 12 oz. bottles (which to me is not enough) or, in a handful of cases, the rather unusual size of 22 oz. To hear you talking about one quart and two liter bottles raises an eyebrow, simply because it is such a departure from the norm. Is it possible that the company markets a more proletarian beverage in the larger sizes?

Tastes are certainly relative, but I didn't think that single bottle was weak, and it seemed to approach my own favorite standards of excellence, Sparky's and Milligan's Island. I guess nobody can answer the question without having a couple examples of both sizes to sample, but it's fun to speculate.

Art

Who told you it was microbrewed? Dog n Suds was a chain of drive in restaurants like A&W was. Both rootbeers now come in 2 liter plastic bottles in the Chicago area.

See:

http://www.dognsudsbrand.com/

I just sipped it again and I suspect a hint of allspice.

crohakon
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Dog N Suds Reply with quote

Quote:
Who told you it was microbrewed? Dog n Suds was a chain of drive in restaurants like A&W was. Both rootbeers now come in 2 liter plastic bottles in the Chicago area.

See:

http://www.dognsudsbrand.com/

I just sipped it again and I suspect a hint of allspice.

I work for Dog N Suds in Michigan, both the Montague and Norton Shores locations. Currently we still make the root beer on location.

kink
Root Beer Freak
Root Beer Freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Dog N Suds Reply with quote

In Michigan do you use a mix or put everything together on site? I know the guy in Indiana with a Dog N Suds talks about bag in box they have made to their recipe. In Chicago Clover Club Bottling bottles Dog N Suds. They also use corn syrup and I think cane sugar would greatly improve the flavor. I do detect a syrup finish in the brew. When faced with a choice between glass, plastic (yuk), or a can (yuk) glass to me is preferred and does not interfer with the taste of the soda.

Thanks Kink

aruzinsky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog N Suds Reply with quote

I just bought diet Dog n Suds root beer in 2 liter plastic bottles for $1 each.

I just noticed that it is more foamy than other brands. Maybe, beverages containing surfactants are more thirst quenching because they wash away mucus coating the mouth and throat. Just a theory.

arcticpenguin
Root Beer Freak
Root Beer Freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mug is very sudsy. I find it annoying when trying to fill a cup at a fast food restaurant soda fountain. Gotta stop and let the foam settle several times, or else let it overflow.

aruzinsky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Dog N Suds Reply with quote

aruzinsky wrote:
I just bought diet Dog n Suds root beer in 2 liter plastic bottles for $1 each.

I must confess that this has rapidly become my favorite diet soda. I find myself drinking more and more of it. I haven't guzzled this much soda in years (even though it's still winter).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Brands All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: