Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gearing up for first batch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laughingcenter
Root Beer Fantasizer
Root Beer Fantasizer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Gearing up for first batch Reply with quote

I've got sassafras, sarsaparilla, anise, and licorice root ordered and on route. I plan to start out nice and small, probably 1 gal. batch. Any suggestions on recipes, I've got a few here at the house, but each one has stuff I didn't order, so I would like to generally go with what I've got.

Also, what are y'all's preferences for sweeteners, molasses, cane sugar, corn sugar?

Laughingcenter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearing up for first batch Reply with quote

LMAO! well, it is soda, and it is carbonated, but it AIN'T root beer. I used too much licorice and not nearly enough sasafrass and sasparilla, so I ended up with a licorice soda of sorts. I think I will try again tonight.

aruzinsky
Root Beer Connoisseur
Root Beer Connoisseur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are missing methyl salicylate which is responsible for most of the flavor of modern rootbeer. It is found in wintergreen herb, wintergreen essential oil and birch essential oil. Sometimes you can buy USP grade methyl salicylate at some drug stores. Usually, about 1 drop per gallon of methyl salicylate, wintergreen oil, or birch oil is sufficient. Essential oils should first be dissolved in a carrier such as alcohol to foster dissolution in water.

An online source for food grade wintergreen, ginger, and juniper berry essential oils (all useful in rootbeer) is:

http://www.lorannoils.com/Products.asp?CategoryID=2&SubColumnName=EssenOils

I suggest you start with just wintergreen, sasafrass and sasparilla and make small modifications on future batches.

If you like Dad's Root Beer, try adding a small amount of allspice. (Some people say they taste anise in Dad's but I taste allspice.) By the way, regular 2 liter bottles of Dad's Root Beer are apparently no longer available, but 1 liter bottles are still available in the Chicago area for $1.

Laughingcenter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearing up for first batch Reply with quote

you're a good man, Charlie Brown. I'll go ahead and get some of that pronto. I found a wine making supply store a few minutes from my house (as opposed to an hour and a half to the homebrew store) and they actually had some rootbeer extract, so I figured I'd pick it up and see what taste I am shooting for. The stuff was really good, just mixed with club soda and cane syrup and had a great glass of root beer.

Thanks a bunch aruzinsky.

Laughingcenter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearing up for first batch Reply with quote

woohoo! I picked up wintergreen leaves today at the homebrew store AND filled up my CO2 cylinder, so now ithink I can get a good small batch down, and be ready to make a good sized batch.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: