Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home Brew Rules/Regs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smhardesty
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Home Brew Rules/Regs Reply with quote

I am considering home brewing root beer and maybe ginger beer. I have been discussing this with a cousin. We both have some interest. He posed a question I have been unable to find an answer to.

How much root beer can an individual brew without intervention from government agencies? Is there some magical amount a fella can brew for personal use? What about brewing small amounts for sale to friends/neighbors? If brewed for sale to the public, are there certain regulations to abide by?

Any input on this subject will be greatly appreciated. Cool

RiverHillsWI
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Home Brew Rules/Regs Reply with quote

I'm sure the regulations vary from state to state, but in Wisconsin we can brew up to 100 gallons of beer (alcoholic) per year for personal consumption. I'm not aware of any limitation for brewing non-alcoholic beverages.

My advice would be to contact a local legistlator. In my experience, the elected official or his/her staff will be happy to help.

parsa
Home Brew Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Home Brew Rules/Regs Reply with quote

My guess is that if it is for free personal consumption, you can make as much root beer as you want. There shouldn't be a limit any more than the number of cakes you bake or steaks you barbeque in a year.

As soon as you try to make it commercial though, that's when you'll need permits or business licenses. If it's just selling a few bottles to friends at work, I don't think the feds are going to be beating down your door any time soon.

Parsa

fred
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Brew Rules/Regs Reply with quote

parsa wrote:
My guess is that if it is for free personal consumption, you can make as much root beer as you want. There shouldn't be a limit any more than the number of cakes you bake or steaks you barbeque in a year.

As soon as you try to make it commercial though, that's when you'll need permits or business licenses. If it's just selling a few bottles to friends at work, I don't think the feds are going to be beating down your door any time soon.

Parsa

Things also get more complicated when people try to distill their alcohol containing products.
I would be concerned about selling anything containing alcohol. You don't want to mess with the ATF.

TheHappyRoot
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Home Brew Rules/Regs Reply with quote

If you're interested in selling your root beer I would suggest consulting your state department of agriculture. At least in Minnesota, they provide all the information necessary to legaly manufacture and sell your product, whether its direct to neighbors, or wholesale to a local store. They even go through the trouble of directing you to pertinent FDA regulations. Unfortunately, anything produced in your home, unless you happen to have a certified kitchen, probably won't be allowed on the market. However, I do think there might be ways to get around this if the product is correctly labeled as untested and only sold in small quantities at places like a farmer's market.

aruzinsky
Root Beer Connoisseur
Root Beer Connoisseur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Brew Rules/Regs Reply with quote

fred wrote:

Things also get more complicated when people try to distill their alcohol containing products.
I would be concerned about selling anything containing alcohol. You don't want to mess with the ATF.

Mmmm, rootbeer brandy. There must be a concentration of alcohol below which you can legally feed it to the general public, including children, and the government couldn't care less. For example, if mom uses vanilla extract with alcohol in it to bake a cake for her two year old, the ATF isn't going to break down her door.

The OP should determine that level and stay below it.

Laughingcenter
Root Beer Fantasizer
Root Beer Fantasizer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Brew Rules/Regs Reply with quote

aruzinsky wrote:
fred wrote:

Mmmm, rootbeer brandy. There must be a concentration of alcohol below which you can legally feed it to the general public, including children, and the government couldn't care less. For example, if mom uses vanilla extract with alcohol in it to bake a cake for her two year old, the ATF isn't going to break down her door.

The OP should determine that level and stay below it.

high gravity beer yeast can get you up to basically 22% ABV, and in most states an individual can make 100 gal. per year for personal consumption, and up to 200 gal per year if there is more than 1 adult living in the house.

You can feed every bit of that to the of age general public, just can't make em pay.

But like some other folks said, if you manufacture and sell consumable items, you need a kitchen certified for business purposes, which is a lot more than the average household sink and stove, ya know.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: