Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting Out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DianneB
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Starting Out Reply with quote

Hi everybody! I am new to the site and new to brewing (ANYTHING!) but am seriously considering brewing root beer.

I am retired so money is always a concern - the less equipment I have to buy, the better! I live in a rural area of Manitoba so finding ingredients can mean a long drive (but the water is chemical-free).

I am diabetic so looking for sugar-free alternatives. I also take a medication that increases thirst so I have been drinking 2 to 4 Litres of Diet Coke per day for years and would like to sever my dependence on store-bought, commercially made drinks. This also means brewing and bottling in quantity!

I have been searching the Net for root beer recipes and methods but when I discovered this forum, it seemed the best place to ask questions.

Question 1 - Bottling
a - Can root beer be packaged in plastic bottle?
b -Does it require refrigeration during storage to stay 'fresh' or can it be stored in a cool area?

Question 2 - Making
a - Can root beer be made in large batches (like 40 or 60L) and then bottled before storage?
b - Does it REQUIRE bottling or can it be drawn from the batch container for use? If so, I assume the batch container needs to be "pressure proof" and refrigerated?

Question 3 - Sugar-free
What are some of your favourite sugar-free recipes?

I am sure I will have more questions as I go along!

aruzinsky
Root Beer Connoisseur
Root Beer Connoisseur

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Out Reply with quote

DianneB wrote:
Hi everybody! I am new to the site and new to brewing (ANYTHING!) but am seriously considering brewing root beer.

I am retired so money is always a concern - the less equipment I have to buy, the better! I live in a rural area of Manitoba so finding ingredients can mean a long drive (but the water is chemical-free).

I am diabetic so looking for sugar-free alternatives. I also take a medication that increases thirst so I have been drinking 2 to 4 Litres of Diet Coke per day for years and would like to sever my dependence on store-bought, commercially made drinks. This also means brewing and bottling in quantity!

I have been searching the Net for root beer recipes and methods but when I discovered this forum, it seemed the best place to ask questions.

Question 1 - Bottling
a - Can root beer be packaged in plastic bottle?
b -Does it require refrigeration during storage to stay 'fresh' or can it be stored in a cool area?

Question 2 - Making
a - Can root beer be made in large batches (like 40 or 60L) and then bottled before storage?
b - Does it REQUIRE bottling or can it be drawn from the batch container for use? If so, I assume the batch container needs to be "pressure proof" and refrigerated?

Question 3 - Sugar-free
What are some of your favourite sugar-free recipes?

I am sure I will have more questions as I go along!

1.a. Yes, are you familiar with 2 liter plastic bottles of soda sold in the United States? I find it difficult to believe that Canada doesn't have them or A&W Root Beer.
1.b. It depends on the ingredients. In particular, solutions of aspartame lose potency after several years at room temperature.

2.a. Yes
2.b. Yes.

3. In my experience, the best tasting high intensity sweetener is a combination of 60% Aspartame and 40% Acesulfame Potassium (Ace-K). For 5 gallons of diet root beer, use 5 grams aspartame and 3.4 grams Ace-K.

There is a 130 year old recipe for "Ottawa Root Beer" that I assume originated in Canada. See https://archive.org/details/treatiseonbevera00sulzrich (page 723). I have tasted it and it is my favorite flavor-wise, but, you will find the key ingredient, sassafras oil, nearly impossible to get.

Before you ask any more questions, please, make sure that they haven't already been answered elsewhere in this forum.

DianneB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Out Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, we have 2L plastic bottles here - I have started saving them.

Thanks for the link to that book! What a wonderful source of information!

Thanks, I search for everything I can think of.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: