Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Convenient root beer tap setup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TD-Max
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Convenient root beer tap setup Reply with quote

I'd like to have 1919 on tap.

Looks like a mini kegerator is a very convenient item, but then again an indoor/ouutdoor full size kegerator would be cool for entertaining.

Are the 5l kegs pressurized or do they need co2?

Once tapped what is the useful life of a mini compared to say a 1/4?

My thought is that as a casual root beer drinker I would be best served by having smaller 5l kegs and changing more often. I haven't checked the availability in WI, but do not anticipate any issues.

I'm looking to get set up for the Holidays. Thanks in advance...

TD-Max

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Convenient root beer tap setup Reply with quote

The overwhelming response is...

Anyhoo, I'm set up and will share what I have learned. First there is a LOT of BS on the web. There is also a lot of good info.

I went with: Danby DKC646BLS 5.8cf Beer Indoor/Outdoor Keg Cooler Kegerator purchased online for $779 delivered.

I also needed a different tap fitting as 1919 uses the old Hoff Stevens 2 prong.

I found the adapter and lots of dicsussion at micromatic site. It seems the Danby is a diamond in the rough. Ultimately I'd have started with a fridge and modded myself OR added an external control to the Danby Kegerator. What I did was use the 33k ohm resistor mod from teh micromatic discussion and everything is fine so far. There is a lot of talk of fans and cooling the tower, controlling to liquid temp, longer lines needed, much higher psi for root beer, etc. I found that all to be unnecessary.

The 33k resistor has me at 33-34 (versus 42 or so) when set at 36°f. After the keg (1/4 barrel) initially settled down I have had perfect taps with a light head.

One thing I may address is the defrost cycles that warm teh inside. The external control will cover this, BUT why mess with it if not necessary? My theory is that if I use a timer on the power supply I can switch the power off for a bit each day and hopefully reset the defrost timer.

The other issue is temp setting memory. There is none so it defaults to like 42°f. My plan is to change resistors so that 42 setting is equal to my target and all should be well.

Just dawned on me that the power went out lst night so I better go reset my temp down to 36°...

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a bit of electrical engineering background there... $800 + time, knowledge, and materials maybe a bit out of the normal range for many fans, but for those who are interested, this is certainly more useful info. Thanks!

So heres a tribute toast with root beer in hand to you and the many mugs of suds along your happy trails. --Charles Wysocki, artist and root beer fan, 1928-2002

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Questions All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: