Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goose Island - Disappointed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtShapiro
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Goose Island - Disappointed Reply with quote

The local Target sometimes gets some unexpected stuff, so I was surprised and pleased to pick up a six pack of Goose Island, a brand I'd never had before and which seems to generally garner favorable comments.

The first two bottles over the last week went into root beer floats with Breyer's Triple Chocolate ice cream. I was delighted at the extreme lack of carbonation of this brand, because when poured into the glass (never add the ice cream first!) there was very little frothing. Most brands froth up and over the top of my massive mug unless one very carefully pours the root bear down the inside surface of the glass. With the Goose Island, one could just dump it in. And I thought the resultant float was quite tasty.

I just finished a bottle by itself, and wasn't impressed at all. The relative lack of carbonation wasn't a benefit when drinking the stuff "naked". And it seemed to be an intensely sweet product, certainly more than the norm and not particularly a desirable trait. It wasn't particularly rooty, if that makes any sense. All in all there didn't seem to be much to recommend it, based on this one serving.

I just went over to Anthony's and gave it a 55, which might be charitable.

Could I have gotten a bad batch? Seeing that this brand is generally considered a pretty decent product and having this negative a reaction really was not what I might have expected.

Art

anthony
Root Beer Freak
Root Beer Freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my initial review is almost 10 years old now and it was from the very first batch of sodas i got so i would probably give it a lower rating at this point. although i have only had it once or twice since then. i personally do like overly sweet sodas, but yes, the flavor is lacking a really "rooty-ness," i know what you mean, it is not that strong. but i still prefer it over mass-market brands myself.

rblover
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I drank a bottle of Goose Island Root beer and it was taste less and no carbonation i'm not sure if it's old but I don't recommend it to other people.

christian_cyclist
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Goose Island - Disappointed Reply with quote

I agree that Goose Island root beer is very sweet. The first one or two bottles taste pretty good because, as with every root beer, the taste is different. So it feels interesting so to speak. After a while, and few other tastes, you realize that GI is just way too sweet.

Bull Dog's and Virgil's are still some of my favs. Both seem to have a very well balanced taste.

-- Boris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Brands All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: