Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe Ingredients. Variations??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuzzbuster
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Recipe Ingredients. Variations?? Reply with quote

I have a few questions for the veterans.

1. Extracts, in St. Louis, MO., are readily available at home brewing stores and area grocers. I was informed that instead of one of the store brands I'd be better off using an "all natural" brand of extract. I didn't know there was a difference. What do the pros think?

2. My first batch tasted awesome. However, it did not have carbonation. The recipe that came with the extract recommended: a. tap water. b. fleischmann's baking yeast. and c. table sugar. Due to the collossal failure of the batch I'm interested in the following changes in the recipe: a. distilled water with gypsum (a yeast nutrient) b. brewer's yeast (brand forthcoming) and c. KARO corn sugar syrup (also better fodder for yeast). What do the pros think of these changes?

Finally, what is "Sparkling Foam"? I saw it listed in both "Northwest Root Beer" recipes on your site. Where can I get that?

Thank you in advance for your feedback and your time.

aruzinsky
Root Beer Connoisseur
Root Beer Connoisseur

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Recipe Ingredients. Variations?? Reply with quote

fuzzbuster wrote:

I was informed that instead of one of the store brands I'd be better off using an "all natural" brand of extract. What do the pros think?

Pros don't use extract. Rootbeer is a matter of personal taste. My favorite rootbeer of all time was 100% artificially flavored. (Fanta Rootbeer, now extinct.)

fuzzbuster wrote:

a. distilled water with gypsum (a yeast nutrient) b. brewer's yeast (brand forthcoming) and c. KARO corn sugar syrup (also better fodder for yeast).

I doubt that gypsum (calcium sulfate) and/or Karo corn syrup will meet all of the yeast's nutritional needs. Try adding the yeast to a 10% solution of molasses and, once that begins to bubble, add it to the rest of the brew. If you don't like the taste of molasses, maybe you can substitute corn steep liquor.

Better yet, forget the yeast and carbonate in a seltzer bottle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: